Photos show charred remains after the fire at Plympton Lounge
Photos were shared on social media showing damage to a popular Plympton salon after a tumble dryer “exploded” and caught fire at the company’s premises yesterday.
PlymouthLive has been contacted by a concerned resident who saw smoke billowing in the sky over Valley Road Business Park – and we have reported live updates from the scene throughout the day.
In a statement from the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Services, crews confirmed that the blaze had caused “100% damage” to the room housing the tumble dryer, as well as 20% of the damage caused. by smoke at the property – Rebecca’s Hair, Nails and Beauty.
Now salon staff have thanked the local community and emergency service workers for all their help and have started a fundraiser to pay for the damage suffered in the fire.
Sharing spooky photos of the damage, staff said they felt “heartbroken”.
Their statement, posted on social media, read: “Warning: thank you for all the messages, phone calls etc. as some of you have heard that there is a fire in the Valley Road units.
“Unfortunately, yes, that was our living room.
“Luckily the girls were amazing and were on the ball and did everything the right way with the situation.
“I couldn’t thank Roo from Hoppys Sports enough! And Sam from Funky Mamas Bakehouse!
“Owner Andy and his wife have been wonderful with Richard so I can’t thank everyone enough!
“And the amazing two nurses and an ambulance driver who were passing by to see if we needed help.
“It will take some time to retrieve and sort, but with some help we’ll be back on our feet in no time.
“If you haven’t heard from us, we’re not rude or Rebecca, but unfortunately we’re a little concerned right now.
“We will be in touch with everyone when we can and your appointments will always be correct or will be in Whitleigh [Rebecca’s Nails other salon] but we will be in contact.
“The girls created a GoFundMe [fundraising] to try to help us.
The online fundraiser, titled simply “Help Rebecca’s Living Room Recover from the Fire,” was set up by Katie Dansie, considered a staff member.
The description reads: “We are raising funds to help recover the damage caused by the fire at the Rebeccas show today.
“For updates, please follow our Facebook ‘Rebeccas Nails Plymouth'”
The fundraiser has a goal of £ 10,000 and has raised £ 130 so far.
If you would like to donate, you can do so here.
Yesterday’s full statement from the fire department reads: “Plympton, Plymstock and Crownhill fire trucks as well as Crownhill’s aerial ladder platform have responded to reports of a dryer. laundry exploded.
“During the call, control was informed that chemicals were also stored in the building.
“Upon arrival, the teams confirmed that a tumble dryer was involved in a fire with smoke emission.
“The teams extinguished the fire using four breathing apparatuses, two roller jets and a covering jet.
“Once the fire was out, the teams then used a thermal imaging camera to make sure there were no more hot spots and a positive pressure fan to remove smoke from the premises.
“During the incident, the aerial ladder platform was used to check the spread of fire in the roof.
“The fire caused 100% fire damage in the room in which the fire occurred, as well as 20% smoke damage to the rest of the property.
“The cause of the fire was recorded as accidental.”