Small Business Saturday in Ithaca: Local Stores to Visit
As this year’s holiday season approaches, New York State continues to grapple with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Small businesses have been financially affected by the pandemic and everyone is bracing for supply shortages.
As some customers start shopping for the holidays and shortages emerge in the economy, now is a great time to patronize local businesses.
Small Business Saturday began 11 years ago as a counterpart to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, which features big box retailers and e-commerce. Small Business Saturday marks the day holiday shoppers are encouraged to support local small businesses.
Following:Planning on shopping for the holidays in the Ithaca region? This is when the stores will be open
Following:Spencer-Van Etten Town Talk: Season of Lights Boosts morale, even in the darkest times
Here are some local stores that you can support in Ithaca during the holiday season:
Municipalities of Ithaca
The heart of downtown Ithaca has many local businesses where you can do your shopping.
Here are some of the cases on the municipalities:
- Sunny days in Ithaca: A gift shop and a souvenir shop.
- 15 steps: A gift shop selling a variety of items including handcrafted jewelry, scarves, handbags, pottery, leather journals, local artists, wedding rings, and engagement rings
- Angry Mom Records: A record store.
- Used books on autumn leaves: A second-hand bookstore.
- K traders: A second-hand clothing store.
- American Crafts by Robbie Dean: A gift shop selling handcrafted pottery, glass, woodwork, jewelry, fibers, metal and ephemera.
- A global market: A gift shop offering handicrafts made by artisans from developing countries who receive a living wage for their work.
- Alphabet soup: A toy store that also sells puzzles, games, science kits, dolls, and crafts.
Elsewhere in the city center
Of course, there are other businesses in the city center outside the municipalities.
Here are some more you can shop for:
- Buffalo Street Books: Cooperative bookstore owned by the Ithaca community.
- Old Gear Goat Exchange: An outdoor sports store selling new and used equipment. Located at 318 East State St.
- Manual work : A gift shop selling crafts, jewelry and handicrafts. Located at 102 West State St.
Further from the municipalities
- Mother Goose: A second-hand clothing store. Located at 609 West Clinton St.
- Mimi’s attic: A consignment store selling used furniture, housewares and interior decoration. Located at 401 Elmira Road.
- Norabloom: A day spa located at 527 North Aurora St. Check gift cards.
- Ithaca Reuse Center: A thrift store located at 214 Elmira Road.
Near Meadow Street
- Finger Lakes Racing Company: A store specializing in running selling shoes, clothing and other running related items. Located at 700 Cascadilla Street.
- Hairdressing studio Transformations: A beauty salon located at 222 Elmira Road. Sells gift cards.
- Miracle nails: A nail salon that sells gift cards. Located at 335 Elmira Road.
- Ithaca Agway and True Value: A hardware, animal, feed, lawn and garden store. Located at 213 South Fulton St.
- GreenStar (770 Cascadilla Street): The cooperative grocery store has a gift section that includes scarves, candles, and jewelry.
- Find: A store that sells antiques and vintage and unusual items. Located at 227 Cherry Street.
- Agway True Value North-East: A hardware, pet and food store that also sells outerwear. Located at 2309 North Triphammer Road in Lansing.
- Six Mile Creek Vineyard: A boutique cellar and distillery located at 1551 Slaterville Road.
- Ithaca grain and pet supply: A pet supply store located at 1011 West Seneca St.
- Reuse MegaCenter: A second hand store selling clothing, textiles, furniture, housewares, building materials, appliances, media, books, music, gardening, toys, sporting goods and more Again. Located at 2255 North Triphammer R
Follow Matt Steecker on Twitter @OnTheStecord. To get unlimited access to the latest news, please subscribe or activate your digital account today.